Holiday Triggers and How to Avoid them.
Published: December 16, 2019
The calendar is inching ever closer to the holidays – and at Get Set Before You Bet, we have some encouraging words for those struggling with a gambling addiction.
We know it’s not the easiest time of the year. Holiday traditions can be triggers that reignite the urge to gamble. While family and friends play cards around the kitchen table and scratch-off tickets are given in the office gift exchange – a person with a gambling addiction could be inching closer and closer to a relapse.
A few simple steps can go a long way toward helping you avoid the temptation to gamble.
- Put someone you trust in charge of your finances. Access to cash can be quite a temptation.
- Suggest non-gambling games for family fun over the holidays.
- Let family and friends know that you’d rather not receive gifts of cash or lottery tickets.
- Remember – it’s OK to say “no” to going somewhere that may threaten your recovery.
- Consider your past motivation or triggers to gamble and change it up.
- Ask for help and support when you need it.
Last, but not least – if you’re ever feeling overwhelmed, help is always available.
Problem Gambling Helpline
Crisis Text Line:
Text 4HOPE to 741741
Free. 24/7. Confidential.