Gift Responsibly This Season with Change the Game Ohio
Published: December 4, 2023
If you find yourself out grabbing last-minute holiday gifts for the kids this year, Change the Game Ohio encourages you to skip the lottery tickets. Although they may seem harmless, scratch-offs are considered a form of gambling. Research has shown that children who are exposed to gambling before the age of 12 are four times more likely to develop a gambling problem later in life.
In fact, a recent study from the North Carolina Problem Gambling Prevention Program found that 25 percent of youth reported playing the lottery, and 20 percent of those youths received the lottery tickets from their parents or other adults they know.
Fortunately, there are several organizations that are dedicated to addressing the problems associated with youth gambling. The National Council on Problem Gambling is a great example. In partnership with McGill University, they started the Gift Responsibly Campaign in the early 2000s to raise awareness about the risks of youth gambling and encourage retailers to share youth-focused responsible gambling messaging during the holiday season.
As we approach the gift giving season, keep these important statistics in mind and avoid purchasing lottery tickets for children. Instead, consider grabbing something like a board game or a puzzle. They’re great for bringing people together, and provide a fun, safe, educational experience for the whole family.
Fun, Educational, and Accessible Gifts for Everyone
Below are five gift ideas for the children in your life that are fun, educational, and great alternatives to lottery tickets.
- Barnyard Bounce helps kids build memory skills, work together as a team, and build positive relationships.
- The Kids of the World Memory Match Game encourages critical thinking, improves visual memory, and educates children about the differences between people from different countries and cultures.
- Scrabble Junior is a fun, revamped version of the classic game we know and love. It’s a perfect way to keep kids entertained while they practice their spelling and critical thinking skills.
- Sight Words is a four-player game that’s designed to help kids learn commonly used words through repetition.
- Exact Change is a fun two-player game that helps kids learn about numbers and money.
Throughout their childhood, kids will be exposed to gambling through many different avenues. It’s important for parents to understand the risks and help prevent youth gambling before it becomes a problem.